LET WANJIKU DECIDE ON THE FUTURE OF HER COUNTRY
We would like to state the following:
1. The launch of the BBI Report yesterday was a win for all Kenyans. We applaud the report. It is clearly a homegrown document derived from a homegrown process. We also note and appreciate the work done in the report to insulate this process from external influence or political interests. Kenyans have spoken through their presentations to BBI.
2. We urge all Kenyans to read this report, for themselves. We especially note the tax holiday proposal for youth-owned businesses, biashara mashinani policies, the buy-Kenya-build Kenya proposals, the one man-one vote-one shilling principle, etc. All these are good proposals, and there are many more.
3. We urge the president to set up an implementation committee to ensure this report now moves to the next step. This committee will flag the relevant issues that need amendment, so that Kenyans can start organizing themselves on how to make the decisions that need to be made on each issue. All further conversations and work on this document should therefore be about how to implement the proposals of the people.
4. Finally like President Uhuru Kenyatta and Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga said yesterday we urge all Kenyans to own this report and not allow politicians to try and hijack it. We also urge our fellow politicians and members of the political elite to avoid the temptation to try to drive it, or to try and use it to divide Kenyans. It must continue to be driven by the people and we politicians must ensure we do not try and run away with it. We Must Let The People Decide. BBI is the people’s report not the elite people/politician’s report.
5. Again we congratulate the Senator Yusuf Haji-led Task Force for a job very well done